Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Flashback

A word to the wise: Youtube is both a blessing and a curse. Watch these videos at your first opportunity. More than a dozen of my Friday Flashback videos have already been removed from the site due to the Big Brother record company spies out there. Not that I can blame them, but nonetheless let these words remind you that Youtube music is best served fresh or not at all.

On to this week's heaping helping. I've been somewhat remiss in my 70s offerings so I'm taking a short break from my speleological research for the Lower Caves to correct that issue. A glaring oversight is about to be filled (and then some) with this serving of classic GLAM ROCK.

First, the stunningly awesome original of a 70s classic from Sweet, the Desolation Boulevard UK LP version of Fox on the Run:



And the US single top 40 hit take on the same song, which most readers will recognize immediately:



Lastly, the rare demo version of the same song which cannot be embedded but at 1:44 long is worth a click in order to hear the complete Fox on the Run history.

Fox on the Run Demo

Damn, Sweet could jam.

Have yourselves a GLAMorous weekend!

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

5 comments:

Will Douglas said...

A perennial favorite. I remember buying the 45 of that for my sister for Christmas one year. Don't hear it much these days, although my local oldies station will occasionally play Ballroom Blitz.

Good times. Thanks for the memory.

Sham aka Dave said...

My pleasure. Fox on the Run doesn't get the spin it deserves these days. Not that Ballroom Blitz isn't a good song, but yeah I get the same thing here. If I hear Sweet on the radio it's BB and not Fox.

Lee B said...

Comparing AC-DC by Sweet to Joan Jett's new cover of it is interesting...

Sham aka Dave said...

Interesting in many regards, heh. I'll have to check that one out, I don't think I've heard it and I like Joan Jett. Check my oldest Friday Flashback if you enjoy her older stuff (Runaways).

Giuffri49 said...

Great reading your bloog